Tis the Season to Be Cautious: Foods to Avoid Giving Your Pet During the Holidays
The Holiday Temptation
The Naughty List - Foods To Avoid Giving Your Pet This Holiday Season
The sweet delight that tops many holiday dessert tables is a grave danger to pets. Chocolate contains theobromine, a stimulant that, when ingested by pets, can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate, and even seizures.
It might seem natural to toss your pet a bone after finishing a holiday feast, but bones can splinter and cause severe damage to the digestive tract. Poultry bones are particularly hazardous, as they can break into sharp fragments.
Onions and Garlic:
These aromatic additions to many holiday dishes contain compounds that can cause damage to a pet’s red blood cells, leading to anemia. Whether raw, cooked, or in powdered form, it’s best to keep onions and garlic away from your furry friends.
The merriment of the season may include a glass of wine or a festive cocktail, but alcohol is toxic to pets. Even a small amount can cause lethargy, coordination problems, and in severe cases, respiratory failure.
Many holiday recipes feature nuts, but some varieties, like macadamia nuts, can be toxic to pets. Ingestion can lead to weakness, vomiting, and elevated body temperature.
Grapes and Raisins:
While a popular snack, grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in pets. Even small amounts can be harmful, leading to symptoms such as lethargy, vomiting, and decreased appetite.
This sugar substitute is commonly found in sugar-free gum, baked goods, and candy. Ingestion can lead to a rapid release of insulin, resulting in hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Symptoms include seizures and loss of coordination.